Friday 22 July 2016

Oil Pastel sketches

Hi folks!! Today I'm going to share some oil pastel sketches I made during the last months. They are all from the country near my home (that's new!!)

In the first one I also mixed some watercolors pencils:





the second with a special pastel paper :


And the last one:


Oil pastels force you to work in impressionistic way. Its difficult to define shapes like leaves, but it is is pleasing for me to work this way. Maybe I could try to define better point for the pastel, but it's anyway quite soft and unsuitable to define hard edges and little shapes. Another thing to pay attention is that light colors are too trasparent and you can't bring back a light area with a light color: you have to plan in advance by using the whiteness of the paper. This is similar to what happens with watercolors. Anyway I really appreciate this tools: they are economical, come in a wide range, are  lightweight, portable and stick to paper easily, are quite clean, and can mix with other media in interesting ways. And they force to work in an impressionistic way ;°)

No comments:

Post a Comment